Sunday, May 30, 2010

IEM Training Update- Vol. 14; Issue 1

May 30 status:

WEIGHT
: 178.4 lbs. I have been semi-fasting all week so I could meet my monthly Weight Watchers "Lifetime" goal. I weighed-in this morning and made the goal with 2.6 lbs. to spare- just in time for Memorial Day barbecues. If I weigh less than 190 on Tuesday, it will be a miracle.

CONSUMED ON 5/29:
All I ate yesterday was a 40 oz. Coke Slurpee and a standard-size Baby Ruth. This is what a diet looks like.

DEFECATION
(what my turd looked like):
  1. A "Prince." Named for IEM donor, Guy Prince, "The Prince" is a single jumbo loaf with a 30% taper. A thing of beauty.
  2. Overcooked Chicken with mole complete with sesame seeds.

EXERCISE:
I ran around the neighborhood for 30 minutes. I covered a little over 3 miles, I reckon. Later, I walked from the apartment to the wife's salon in the Berkeley Gourmet Ghetto- 6.8 miles according to Google Maps. Other than a blister on the sole of my left foot and some crotch chafing , I felt fine afterwards.

LISTENING:
Gene and Debbe- "Playboy"/"I'll Come Running" 45-
(1968) $2.00


I debated whether I should get this 45, as the vinyl looked a little rough in the store. Plus, $2.00 is twice what I like to pay for a 45 in this (or any) economy. The record plays passably, though, so I'm very happy I chose to buy it. I heard "I'll Come Running" for the first time a few months ago on an awesome comp that Jason Morgan had burned. Instantly, it became one of my favorite songs ever- top 25 of all time. Really. I have no idea why this song isn't a household fixture. It should be all over oldies radio. The melody is instantly memorable, the boy-girl vocals are gorgeous, and the groove is insane. I'm not sure whether this song was marketed as a country song (Gene Thomas had cut some solo country records earlier in the 60's) or a pop song. There is some twang here, as both vocalists are Texans, but it sounds a lot more Memphis than Nashville to me and there is no steel guitar to be found. Gene's voice sort of reminds me of a Box Tops-era Alex Chilton (more "Soul Deep" than "The Letter"), while Debbe's girlish vocals would fit Brill Bldg. material perfectly. I cannot imagine ever getting tired of this song. This song needs to be played at weddings.

The flip (I'm actually not sure which is the A-side), "Playboy," isn't as powerful, but it is still pretty great. While Gene and Debbe sing together throughout "I'll Come Running", on "Playboy" they take turns, coming together on the choruses. This song is less groove-laden than the flip and is more sophisticated and adult-sounding, so maybe it was meant to appeal to squares as well as teens. It has a somewhat "exotic" feel, opening with swelling organ and a Hawaiian-esque guitar lead. The whole approach of the song puts me in the mind of a Broadway musical soundtrack, which makes me love it more than I probably would have otherwise.


DONOR UPDATE:
I got $10 (Man, You're Awesome donation level) from Rebecca Grunewald. Thanks so much.

Please continue sending donations via PayPal at: alincolnlevy@yahoo.com

29 comments:

jmo said...

It's crazy that Playboy was their only hit it's the weakest track on the LP. My new comp has a great G & D jam "love will give us wings" BTW I love that people give you money to eat like a savage

730A_ngelinaRabideau0 said...

此處是值得一探究竟的好部落格!!........................................

DedeJ文辰_Fe said...

想要推動天下,先要發動自己。..................................................

adkinsra said...

很喜歡你的blog哦...加油唷 ..................................................

皇雯皇雯 said...

看看blog放鬆一下,工作累死了................................................................

峻龍 said...

Where did you purchase this product?..................................................

文群文群 said...

人不能像動物一樣活著,而應該追求知識和美德.................................................................                           

江婷 said...

變天了~~注意身體,別感冒囉!.................................................................                           

陳智強 said...

卡爾.桑得柏:「除非先有夢,否則一切皆不成。」共勉!............................................................

政翰 said...

當一個人內心能容納兩樣相互衝突的東西,這個人便開始變得有價值了。............................................................

珮君 said...

一個人的際遇在第一次總是最深刻的,有時候甚至會讓人的心變成永遠的絕緣。............................................................

原秋原秋 said...

A bad workman quarrels with his tools...................................................................

LupeConstan治士 said...

加油-不論如何都支持你............................................................

萬宇萬宇 said...

哈囉!來拜訪囉~部落格很棒^^~..................................................................

香昱信張君林 said...

嗨~~留個言跟您問好!!謝謝您的分享............................................................

陳佑發 said...

謝謝原PO的熱情分享 大家也要一起分享喔 感恩(≧ω≦)............................................................

思恬 said...

好中意你的BLOG阿~加油!..................................................................

承蘋承蘋 said...

Make hay while the sun shines...................................................

張志亦劉美玲 said...

Learning makes a good man better and ill man worse.............................................................

劉建黃志宇娥 said...

喜歡看大家的文章,每篇都是一個故事,都是一種心情~~祝大家開心愉快...............................................................

敬周喜 said...

良言一句三冬暖,惡語傷人六月寒。......................................................................

凱許倫 said...

朋友是一面鏡子......................................................................

偉曹琬 said...

No pains, no gains.......................................................................

允黃淑 said...

要繼續發好文喔^^加油!..................................................................

幸家陳瑋齊 said...

要用心經營哦~~祝福你~~
...............................................................

佳張張張張燕張張張張張 said...

出遊不拘名勝,有景就是好的..................................................................

佳張張張張燕張張張張張 said...

上班很累,摸個魚輕輕鬆鬆的逛部落..................................................................

淑徐承翰承翰娟 said...

唯有穿鞋的人,才知道鞋的哪一處擠腳......................................................................

偉DimpleHolloway043昀 said...

感謝大大的無私分享 讓小弟獲益良多 終於知道網上還有這麼多的好東西≧▽≦"
............................................................